Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 3 September 2022

pn 935. Jai Ram Reddy (1937-2022) Indo-Fijian lawyer, statesman and political trailblazer dies in Auckland

Celebrating the life of my father, by Helen Reddy 

A tribute to my father Jai Ram Reddy: 

“My Fiji – I offer a vision which sees this beloved land of ours united in its diversity, forged out of its adversity, and built on trust. I offer you a vision of Fiji which historians will say that, in the midst of tragedy, we found courage and wisdom, and foresight and determination to lead the nation away from the precipice into a prosperous future. I can only hope that my vision for this most wonderful of nations will fulfil its promise. I can only pray that we who have the moment at hand will find the courage, the strength and the determination to let the past be the past and build a nation that will stand not just to 20/20, but down through the centuries” – Jai Ram Reddy, 1993.

This moment asks a lot of me and all of us. I write these words with a heavy heart but also a sense of great pride and privilege which is only afforded to me because I happen to be the daughter of the lawyer, judge, and Indo-Fijian statesman, Jai Ram Reddy.

Historians, political commentators, and analysts will define their narratives about my father. I am a daughter who simply seeks to celebrate and mark his life and legacy with a personal perspective about him, his legal and political career. Click here to read the full article.



Read also: 

Tribute from Professor Brij Lal

https://www.fijitimes.com/a-true-son-of-fiji-2/

Fiji Times editorial by Fred Wesley

https://www.fijitimes.com/editorial-comment-end-of-an-era/

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jai_Ram_Reddy


No comments: