Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Wednesday 15 September 2021

pn793. Expect backlash from Māori Party language petition: Comment from a reader

 

I think you're right Croz. While there is no doubt interest in learning the language, moving to place names at the speed the Maori Party wants is likely to cause a backlash.

I find it unnerving that government departments already use Aotearoa alone in some of their bulletins and handouts. e.g. in material I received around the hate speech consultations. I understand the wish to encourage the use of the language, but a government needs to tread carefully around this sort of change. Where is their mandate for this? And how lucky we are to speak an international language!

It is a shame we have been divided into 'natives and colonialists' in some people's eyes. I agree our settler forbears were involved in some horrible actions, but I wonder whether the pre-settlement practice of letting the powerful prevail, is now forgotten and regarded as a strategy imported by the settler culture.

Whatever we do, pakeha can never expiate the wrongs inflicted on Maori. Bolger and Graham were courageous and right to seek settlements, limited as these settlements were, and Maori were gracious to accept. The present government has been conciliatory with moves to support Maori health and local government with Maori wards. And there will be more. Whether there will ever be enough conciliation and reparation I don't know. Human nature seems always to want more.

I suppose every culture sees its own superiorities, and cultures change as society changes. While this is natural enough for a majority culture, a minority culture may feel it has to cling to what it has lest any loss imperil it further. Understandable but perhaps not too helpful.

I'm rather grateful to find I am not opposed to Aotearoa now I know more of our history. And a gradual change of place names would not worry me unduly. After all why call an area after a freebooter or worse? It would be nice if we could all learn together and agree to a change as we discover the real history. It will not reward Maori for their loss, but if they feel understood and appreciated by the rest of us, it will be a step forward. As our DNA demonstrates, we are all part of a mixture.

Warm wishes,

Peter


No comments: