Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Monday 20 August 2018

Prof Randy Thaman on the Success of USP


Pn50
Speaking on the 50th anniversary of the University of the South Pacific, listen to Randy on this RNZ tape. 

One person had this to say about him:

"It never ceases to amaze me when I meet people in far flung corners of the Pacific who have at some point been taught by Randy. 

With a 'larger than life' and engaging personality, it is hard to miss him on campus and his influence has spread far beyond the borders of our small islands. 

As a teacher, Randy's endless enthusiasm, dedication to his students and passion for biodiversity and conservation issues has made him one of the most endeared professors at USP and made 'eco -groupies' of most of his students - many of whom go on to drive conservation efforts in their own countries. 

As a person I have found him to be compassionate, generous and genuinely interested in people. I am extremely blessed to have such a mentor and friend like him in my life."

And it's all true. We were Geography colleagues, along with the late Dr Prem Prasad, from 1974-76, and more distantly from 1995 to 1999. What was not said by his admirer is that he is also fluent in Tongan and Fijian which makes for good grassroots contact.




1 comment:

Patrick Pikacha said...

This so true. Randy taught me Geography, his knowledge and passion for the Pacific Islands and it's amazing landscapes have and continue to inspire me. Wonderful reflection.