Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 18 December 2010

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On


SCROLL DOWN TO OTHER WEEKEND READING.  ♦ 'Eakalafi Moala and Baroness Onora O'Neill on Media Freedom ♦ Graham Reid's third and final article on his Fiji visit ♦ Fr Barr on NZ Aid and Neo-Liberalism  


Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

Vinaka Vakalevu  Police Commissioner
I am a regular at the Lautoka Market where I sit and have a basin of yaqona with my mates.. I am the youngest. The market, in my opinion is a place where every citizen of Fiji rubs shoulders. I have met and made so many new friends there.  I have also seen the odd the funny and the strange there. Every so often I see a police officer come along on patrol and we greet him or her. We know that police officers are not allowed to consume yaqona but for courtesy’s sake we invite them for a bowl, they always refuse politely.  This is one of the best laws that was put in place by the department.

But I wish to thank the Commissioner of Police Ioane Navalurua for his initiative in taking the Police Department to new heights. The parade in Natabua where prison and police officers paraded with prisoners made history; this was the first time it has even been held. The road to rehabilitating prisoners is well on its way but Mr. Naivalurua reminded prisoners that if there was to be any change it had to come from within the prisoners themselves. Over the years the police and prison services departments have done what they can to get offenders to reform, many times it doesn’t work because the prisoners will not change.

And thank you the Brigadier Naivalurua for the message on radio Wednesday where we were told that during the festive season police officers will be visible. There is a joke that goes like this – Where can you find police officers? Answer: At a police station! (Are they guarding it? No offence to anyone)

But we have been reassured that police officers will be on foot patrol, including high ranking officers, wow, it will be a sight to see  senior officers patrolling hot spots and the Lautoka market. Patrols at supermarkets will deter pickpockets and people asking for money. All businesses must open up their doors for police officers to patrol freely. During my younger days I used to hear people say, “Wasting government money, why are they not looking for thieves, and just riding around in the cars” when police officers zoom pass in their patrol cars. In hind sight and as I matured I realise that a police officer on patrol is a deterrent. We must change our perception or our police officers if we are to appreciate their work. And one thing that we have to remind some parents is not to frighten their children by saying that a police officer will catch them if they are bad. I’ve heard parents say, “Ia, I’ll call the police if you don’t stop crying.” A child can grow up being frightened or hating the police. Who do they turn to when a crime is being committed on them or their property?

Fiji has come a long way since unpleasant events have happened and what ever the ups and downs have happened, many of us are still and hoping things will get better. If I can assist to make the future of my dogs and grand kids a bright one, I will. All citizens must appreciate and respect the law, however if the law is a hindrance or gets in your way, they you are doing something wrong.

If we spend $500,000 on police officers transport, meal money and other allowances and there is no crime committed, then it will be money well spent. Too many times we wait for something to happen so that we can justify and then fork out money. By that time a life is lost, a house has been broken into, a hand bad has been snatched or a drunk has terrorised someone in the heart of the city.

Once again, thank you to the Police department and as an aside the foot patrol will auger well for bellies that have grown wider than the hips.

I take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry and crime free Christmas.

 -o0o-

A THOUGHT ON LIES. If I told a lie, I’m called a liar. If my government told a lie, its called an Official
(with a capital Oh) lie. (Wiki Leaks) -- Allen Lockington.

No comments: