Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 1 December 2012

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On


 Burglar Alarm

During one of my visits to farmers I went into a settlement in Lautoka which is about five minutes drive towards the sea from the main road in Natabua Lautoka. The   little tin shack is made of flattened 44 gallon drums.  The home sits right in the middle of a vegetable and cassava plantation. 

After handing over farm implements I asked the owner if I could have a look around his compound. We came to a waist high fence that had empty tuna cans tied neatly together at various intervals. When I asked what they were for the owner said, “Qori noqu burglar alarm.” 

He went on to say that because he lives in such an isolated place his home often gets burgled. I am amazed that his home gets burgled because he is a squatter and lives in dire poverty. His home is bare and the roof leaks, yet people still rob him. 

How cruel can that be!

But the empty tuna cans is an ingenious device and he said that it has alerted his family many times when people try to climb over and the tins rattle.


Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

No comments: