Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 4 December 2010

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

 WEEKEND READING. Scroll down to —
♦ Fr Barr on Productivity and Stability
♦ Peter Gleick on Fiji Water
♦ Fire at Fiji Museum by Roderick Ewins
♦ Graham Reid on the morality of visiting Fiji

Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.


My Lucky Day

Americain  won the 2010 Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse, followed by Maluckyday, second, and So You Think, third. I put in a small bet as usual.  It’s a tradition that started a few years ago when I found that you can win something if you are in the race.


This time I went to Grants Waterhouse and just sat around listening to the guru’s (or so they think) of horse betting, talking. One chap came over and told me about a horse and its mother and father. Then we became a huddle and then one chap called out, “Roti roti, roti, one dollar a parcel.” I bought one for luck's sake. It's amazing how these so called gurus of horse racing place their bets. It's ritual like, almost religious-like. I spotted one chap kissing his money as he went up to the booth to place his bets. He had chosen twelve horses. Wow!

Another chap was mumbling so I went up closer and thought I heard the word god, and wondered if he was praying. He was. Then I saw him close his eyes and utter some more words under his breath and then he stepped up to the cashier to pay. As I ambled along inside wondering what horse I would choose, a lady walked pass and bumped into me. I hoped her horse would lose. But that’s an unkind thing to think. She stepped up to the cashier and we waited. The cashier was explaining to her how to place best and what a trifecta and what a quinella was. Then she asked how much should she place and we nearly threw her out. Someone from the back whispered, “This not the time to find out how to bet.”

Just then I overheard someone say that Shocking was the favourite and it would come first. I wrote the name down. Then another punter whispered that Campanologist would win and I put a small bet on it. As I walked out a good friend pulled me aside and I asked him for a tip, He looked around like he was going to let me in on a state secret and whispered, “Bro, put your money on Maluckyday.” I wrote the name down. Then I followed him to the cashiers and he placed his bet on Shocking. I stayed with Maluckyday and how shocking, it came second and I won and the guru lost. It’s shocking isn’t it.

Small fortunes are lost and won on Melbourne Cup day. The race is not even ten minutes and in that time millions of dollars will be either won or lost. Some people will go home and party and some will go and dig their graves. Each year it’s the same. As for me, well, it was my lucky day. I won!

No comments: