Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 28 July 2012

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On


Look to Ovalau

Business, it has been said, is starting to go up again. Having said that, could a reporter go to Levuka and see how the Pacific Fishing Company is doing and print it in the papers, please? Perhaps Fiji TV would like to do a Close Up programme.

I lived  in Levuka on Ovalau from 1985 to 1989 and Levuka was a  busy little town. PAFCO was thriving and foreign fishing vessels were coming to Levuka in the hundreds. Business was thriving. I have been reliably told by a good friend that he notices a difference, perhaps we need to take a look and see what changes have taken place. We have the look North policy. Can we have a  Look to Ovalau policy?

Can someone tell us  how PAFCO is faring? It will tell us how Levuka and Ovalau and the Lomaiviti Group are faring.
Foreign Actors

I’ve been reliably told that foreign actors in Fiji bring more than the eye can see (No pun intended). For one, their presence in Fiji shows that it is safe to travel here, unlike what our neighbours' governments have been saying.  And they also bring employment to the movie industry and this could be a stepping stone to the future, setting up of a movie studio right here in Fiji which will employer local actors, technicians, directors and producers. So, thank you to my friend who spoke to me about movie actors being present in Fiji. I’ve changed my mind.


The Power of Facebook

I walked into  an Internet shop in Lautoka and saw many students from around Lautoka at computers. I identified all the schools by the uniforms. There were about twenty computers and all were being used by students. I had to laugh when I saw the majority of them had text books opened by their side,  and some had note pads with writing on them, but it was  FaceBook they had open on their computer screen. 
A few of the students heard my laugh and knew me and said, “Have to relax mada during research Mr. Lockington.”
I suppose so. 
I wonder if FaceBook should be included in the school curriculum with  text books uploaded and school work  done via Face Book. I know Face Book is part of the "social media" but could it also be made into a  powerful educational?



Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

No comments: