Ideas on Constitutional and Electoral Reforms I
That is why I would prefer readers to use the Fiji Political and Constitutional Forum Blog.
Nothing moves down the page and specific comments are entered in response to specific questions. This will improve discussion by keeping everyone focussed on one question at a time.
But Satendra's opinions are too important to be left to the old posting. That's why I've given his first 16 points (there are 30 overall) a full post of their own here. ►Click or arrow< or > to read on. Satendra, I'll probably publish your points 17-25 tomorrow and 26-30 on Friday but whatever I do, I'll really appreciate it if you would take time to slot each of your ideas where it can be fully discussed in the new blog. And many thanks for these thoughtful ideas. Best wishes, Croz
To other readers, I'd much prefer you to comment on FPCForum, writing your comments where each belongs, but of course I won't stop you commenting here.
Satendra Singh has left a new comment on your post "The New Forum":
CONSTITUTIONAL AND ELECTORAL REFORMS
Amend the Electoral System as follows:-
1. Lower house (House of Representatives) be downsized to 61 and new electoral system to be
designed which is not race based( ALL Open Seats) or simply 1 person, 1 vote, 1 and equal value ONLY and prefer still to use Preferential Voting system similar to 1997 Constitution.
2. Upper House (Senate to be downsized to 31 not race based( ALL Open Seats) or simply 1 person, 1 vote, 1 and equal value ONLY and prefer still to use Preferential Voting system similar to 1997 Constitution.
3. A minimum qualification, moral and ethical standards enshrined for all contestants of Senate, House of Representatives, Head of state and all other Govt CEOS and political and Constitutional Appointees.
4. Eliminate the race based ministries and Boards like Fijian Affairs (FAB), transfer FAB and provincial Fijian boards and management to NLTB and let them get their own funding from NLTB since NLTB owns 90 % of all land in Fiji. The taxpayers should not be burdened with any of the expenses related to FAB or GCC.
5. President to nominated by the Prime Minister and can be any person who is a qualified Fiji Citizen and not only reserved to indigenous High Chiefs and to be confirmed by majority in Senate.
6. The Prime Minister must command majority in House of Reps and shall be appointed by President.
7. All cabinet Ministers either from House of Reps or Senate, nominated by Prime minister and confirmed by majority in senate.
8. Other checks and balance-related clauses to be included so that all future based governments are based on Consensus rather then race or partisan politics.
9. Clause to prohibit and punish anyone who uses any race based slogans, intimidation, etc or Scare tactics or stirring of indigenous nationalism in Political Campaigns,etc.
10. Change the current legal Voting Age from 21 years to 18 years.
11. Cabinet size to be enshrined into the constitution and not to exceed 18 in any
circumstances unless approved by the legislature.
12. Remove all political powers of GCC from politics and downgrade and recognize GCC to that of traditional and cultural significance ONLY. This will enable all political powers including the appointment of President and Vice President to the elected people (PM, house and senate as discussed above) This will also Remove all VETO powers of GCC nominated Senators with major majority (2/3 or 66%) required in both houses to pass any legislation dealing with Indigenous Lands, Resources and Rights and protection or heritage. Since Indigenous population are more than 52% and thus will always be at least 52 % in the House so no such legislation can be passed without overwhelming indigenous support and as such they will remain protected BUT by the elected People and not some unelected body called GCC.
13. Remove the Multi Party Concept clauses as it creates more political and legal problems then it was actually designed to solve.
14. Redesign the electoral boundaries that is fair and representative of constituents including the current census for accurate voter counts and designing of a systematic and methodical voter
registration system that is fair and free of political bias with some audit trail to ensure that no voter is missed out or left behind due to corruption and political bias
15. Ensure that Elections office and staff are free from political bias to avoid any errors or mishandling including vote rigging.
16. Minimum qualification and character to stand for Public Office to include following:-
(1) At least High School Completion (Form 6)
(2) Must be of good conduct with no criminal records as required of any Govt Jobs
(3) Must have at least 5 years experience in Community service, Social service or at a supervisory level